Friday, November 25, 2005

watermelon blues (a 1min play for 2 fruits)

watermelon-man

Y: I don't mean to be rude...but - but - were you born like this?
Watermelon Man (WM): Not really.
Y: Then what happened!?
WM: I was born, first, a watermelon in a watermelon patch. But unlike other watermelons, I grew up to be a watermelon man instead.
Y: Ah...right...
WM: Amazing huh? But my story is just like that of Pinnochio.
Y: Pinnochio?...I guess you can see it that way...
WM: You don't believe me?
Y: No, no, I mean, yes, I believe you.
[A long pause, during which WM waves a fly away.]
WM: You know that there's a movie named after me!
Y: OK.
WM: And many songs too - There's that famous tune by Herbie Hancock in the 60s. Wah, that's one great jazz hit. Catchy stuff. The drums, tetetededum...And there's some 70s song also. I don't quite understand the words, those strange 70s people. But somehow...they make me want to cry. [sings and tears, black melon seeds falling down his face]
"And it’s a new day,
Watermelons waste away,
And the sun is startin’ to rise up over the hill
But it’s all right
I haven’t lost my appetite
And you know that I’m eatin’ those wasted watermelons still
Yes, I am
And I’m a watermelon man
Yes, I’m a watermelon man."
Y: Look on the bright side, watermelon man, always. All is never lost. You could have been some other fruit...like a banana. No one will take you seriously then. Or a grape. Forever to be crushed and losing your individuality to a bunch. Or just an apple. Innocuous, yet always suspect. Worse, an orange! Imagine that. No one cares for orange as a fruit. A colour or a juice, maybe.
WM: [smiles] Or I could have just been a watermelon. Instead of a watermelon man.
Y: That's the spirit!
WM: Thanks for cheering me up, persimmon girl.

TGIF!

No comments:

Post a Comment